Mourinho: Tottenham are the champions of the transfer window but I’ll unleash Eto’o against Everton
By SAMI MOKBEL
PUBLISHED: 12:55 GMT, 13 September 2013 | UPDATED: 17:47 GMT, 13 September 2013
Jose Mourinho believes Tottenham to have had the greatest success in the summer transfer window, even with the departure of Gareth Bale.
Bale’s exit to Real Madrid for a world-record fee prompted Spurs to spend big on several expensive recruits like the £30million Erik Lamela, Roberto Soldado and Christian Eriksen and for all that Chelsea also strengthened, Mourinho believes it is their London rivals who came off better.
‘Tottenham are the champions by a distance,’ Mourinho said. ‘They bought six, seven, eight international players.’
VIDEO Scroll down to watch: Everton v Chelsea: Jose Mourinho – I’ll unleash Eto’o
Focused: Jose Mourinho will be keen for Chelsea to continue their promising start to the season
Bale’s arrival at Real also sparked the £42.5m exit of Mesut Ozil to Arsenal and, given he was a key player under the Portuguese at the Bernabeu, Mourinho was surprised they chose to sell him.
‘I’m surprised Madrid let Ozil go,’ he said. ‘That’s football.
‘Mesut left a big club but comes to the biggest league in the world to a club with big ambitions. He was happy to do it. I have good memories with him, I wish him well, but not that well because he plays for a direct rival.’
While Chelsea signed Samuel Eto’o, and Romelu Lukaku was in turn loaned to Saturday’s opponents Everton, talented Spaniard Juan Mata was repeatedly linked with a transfer elsewhere.
Friends reunited: New Chelsea striker Samuel Eto’o is delighted to be working under Jose Mourinho once again
Big-money signing: Mesut Ozil, who Mourinho once worked with, has the ability to transform Arsenal’s season
Mourinho stopped short of saying he would be a first-team regular this season but he did say he features in his plans.
He said: ‘Mata is a player I like very much, he is player I trust a lot and he will fight for his position. He will be a player who sometimes starts, or on the bench. But sometimes he won’t be selected like everyone else. With so many games I will make strange decisions in your eyes. Sometimes I think further than just the next match.
‘It was not so hard a decision (to let Lukaku leave) because he was keen to do it. The kid wants to play every weekend. I don’t know if Everton have promised him that. He is a great kid and that’s why we don’t want to sell him. We didn’t when we had proposals to do it.
In his plans? Mourinho insists he hopes to keep both Juan Mata and Romelu Lukaku in the long-term
Chelsea travel to Goodison Park on Saturday with a fully-fit squad following the international football break and Eto’o is likely to make his debut.
‘Everyone has come back fit,’ said Mourinho. ‘Eto’o will be selected in the squad and is expected to play.
‘He has adapted the style of play we want in our team. Techincally he is very good. He has a natural appetite for goals and he gives experience to a team.
‘From my time here, normally I start with one striker. But many times I’ve finished with two. Many times we’ve finished. I chase results, if I have to turn a draw to a win I will do it. I like to have strikers on the bench. That’s why having three strikers is fundamental.’
Stiff opposition? Everton signed both James McCarthy and Gareth Barry in the transfer window
- Eto’o: I used to HATE Mourinho… now he’s my coach at Chelsea, and a good friend
- THE BETTING SLIP: Gunners on to a winner with Ozil and Eto’o backed for fast start at Chelsea – all the tips and ones to watch
- All the Premier League team news and stats for every match ahead of the weekend
- EVERTON v CHELSEA: Latest team news and stats ahead of the Goodison Park clash
Share or comment on this article
- Straight red card for worst ever two footed tackle
- STREET BRAWL Russian and Ukrainian hooligans fighting in…
- The moment Ronaldo puts reducer on Bale’s ankle…
- Spurs take out the laundry… but who’s the mystery player…
- Ronaldo training with Real Madrid. He has now signed a £76m…
- Ronaldo resigns Manchester United to ‘the past’ as he signs…
- Swansea v Liverpool: Brendan Rodgers
- Floyd Mayweather remains undefeated after fight with Alvarez…
- Messi’s best skills celebrated in fantastic fan-made…
- Moyes on Rooney’s return to the pitch for Man United
- Arsène Wenger pleased with Mesut Ozil’s ‘outstanding’ debut…
- Sir Alex Ferguson on Mark Clattenburg race row in 2012
- JAMIE REDKNAPP: David Luiz is a Chelsea liability……
- Ronaldo on £288k A WEEK! Massive Real deal gives him almost…
- REVEALED: The secrets behind THAT headband and could Rooney…
- GRAHAM POLL: Young is a cheat and should be banned for five…
- So good he’s frightening! Bale has shocked Real Madrid…
- Mayweather’s latest masterpiece was desecrated by judge who…
- The English game has lost its passion, claims Leverkusen…
- Striker crisis averted for Arsenal as Giroud reveals he…
- Liverpool’s £18m defender Sakho made to wait for his debut…
- Belgian teen Januzaj impresses Moyes on United debut
- Headstrong! Rooney is all smiles at United training… and…
- Khan must commit like Mayweather if he wants to be the…
TOP SPORT STORIES
- FOOTBALL 9-5: Sturridge to play for Liverpool as United and City prepare for Champions LeagueThe latest news and views as it happens
- Bale has shocked Real Madrid team-mates with his pace and trickery, says Ramos (who also admits no one knew him before as he only played for Tottenham!)
- Liverpool’s £18m defender Sakho to wait for his debut as Rodgers leaves him out of squad to play SwanseaMamado Sakho will not face Swansea City
- Fellaini doesn’t make first cut at United training after he struggles with ‘intensity’Marouane Fellaini trained with the second tier players
- No play, no pay! Milan favourite Kaka takes his name off club payroll until he overcomes injury problemsMilan favourite Kaka is refusing to accept wages
- Ronaldo and Bale to combine against Drogba’s Galatasaray in Champions LeagueReal travel to Istanbul with the most expensive attack in history
- Headstrong! Rooney turns up for training… and he’s not wearing his protective headbandWayne Rooney trained without his specially-designed headband
- Doncaster snap-up United outcast Macheda on initial one-month loan dealFederico Macheda has been given the chance to prove he can still make it
- Kompany battles back from injury as Man City skipper is named in squad for trip to PlzenVincent Kompany has given City a boost by returning from injury.
- Cabaye issues apology to Newcastle fans… after spending summer trying to leave St James’ ParkYohan Cabaye has apologised for confusion
- Sturridge fit for Swansea clash after missing England duty with thigh problemLiverpool striker Daniel Sturridge is expected to start Liverpool’s game
- VIDEO: Shocking scenes of mass street fight between football hooligans in UkraineVideo has emerged showing a mass street brawl between rival fans
- Ronaldo on £288k A WEEK! Massive Real deal gives him almost double Bale’s wageCristiano Ronaldo has signed a five-year deal with Real Madrid
- Van Persie wants to extend Man United contract as Dutchman targets ‘two or three’ trophies this seasonRobin van Persie wants to extend his stay
- So good he’s frightening! Bale has shocked Real Madrid team-mates with his pace and trickery, says Ramos (who also admits no one knew him before as he only played for Spurs!)
- Fellaini doesn’t make first cut at United training after he struggles with ‘intensity’
- Young could dive again, admits Moyes on eve of Champions League opener against Leverkusen
- Has Agbonlahor ruined 1D pop star’s football career? Tomlinson forced to pull out of Doncaster debut after THAT tackle
- We must not take Plzen lightly, says City boss Pellegrini ahead of Champions League opener against Czech minnows
- From Hill’s £20-a-week to Ronaldo’s £288k Madrid mega-bucks deal… how footballers’ wages have been steadily increasing through the years
- Ronaldo on £288k A WEEK! Massive Real deal gives him almost double Bale’s wage as chance of United return is scuppered
- Van Persie wants to extend Man United contract as Dutchman targets ‘two or three’ trophies this season
- Ozil, Eriksen, Ramsey and Barry showed how they can transform their side’s play… but who was the biggest touch of class this weekend?
- He’s still got it! Manager Moyes teaches his stars a thing or two during United training
- Liverpool’s £18m defender Sakho made to wait for his debut as Rodgers leaves him out of his squad to play Swansea
- Young’s dive was worse than a leg-breaking tackle… and deserved a straight red, claims Parish
- Cabaye issues apology to Newcastle fans… after spending summer trying to leave St James’ Park
- Doncaster snap-up United outcast Macheda on initial one-month loan deal
- From Anfield to Istanbul… With Gerrard set for 400th game as Liverpool captain, here are his finest moments wearing the armband
- LIVE: England v Australia – Follow the action from the fifth ODI in Southampton
- Spurs fans will face no action for ‘Y-word’ chants at Norwich clash despite FA row
- Ronaldo and Bale to combine against Drogba’s Galatasaray in Champions League
- Abidal reveals Barca star Alves offered his LIVER for life-saving transplant last year
- Get your shooting boots on! Premier League averages lowest goals per game ratio of all time as players struggle to find the back of the net
- Ukraine put to shame as ugly mass street brawl between rivals hooligans unfolds in broad daylight
- GRAHAM POLL: Young is a cheat and should be banned for five matches to stop him conning referees
- Rams boss Clough fears it may take someone getting hurt before action is taken against pitch invaders after being pushed by Millwall fan during Derby’s 5-1 win
- No play, no pay! Milan favourite Kaka takes his name off club payroll until he overcomes injury problems
- JAMIE REDKNAPP: David Luiz is a Chelsea liability… Mourinho is used to defenders who defend like Terry, Gallas and Carvalho
- Uh oh! Ivory Coast face Senegal for a World Cup spot… after their last game ended in a riot
- Friends not foes: Benchwarmer Torres says striker rivalry with Eto’o is not turning bitter
- Mayweather’s latest masterpiece was desecrated by judge who should retire
- Gerrard shrugs off death threats and shares joke with Rodgers in training ahead of Liverpool’s trip to Swansea
- Specs appeal: Everyone wants to know why Ronaldo was wearing glasses for his Real contract presentation… but is he setting a new trend or just following the crowd?
LATEST SPORT COLUMNS
- JAMIE REDKNAPP: Luiz is a Chelsea liability… Mourinho is used to deploying defenders who can defend like Terry, Gallas and Carvalho
- MARTIN SAMUEL: With Roy it’s the hoof, the whole hoof and nothing but the hoof…
- GRAHAM POLL: Young is a cheat and should be banned for five matches to stop him conning referees
- THE FOOTBALL GRAPEVINE: How Ozil Snr’s fixer fee scuppered City and United… Mata’s at breaking point… three’s a charm for Ade… and will Suarez prove he’s the Real deal in January?
- GARY NEVILLE: An Argentinian manager, Rickie Lambert and the future of English football
- PATRICK COLLINS: Hodgson knows he will have to pay for World Cup failure… not his inept players
- JAMIE CARRAGHER: Why Lampard is better than Scholes… and I’m proud my old room-mate Frank has made it as a football great
- MARTIN KEOWN: Moyes stuck to his guns with Fellaini, Eriksen offers Spurs more guile and Ozil could solve Arsenal’s left-wing problem
- CHARLES SALE: Fergie’s managerial secrets revealed already ahead of book launch
- JEFF POWELL: Half a century ago ‘wee Georgie’ sprinkled some magic on the cloth cap game and turned it into a castle of wizardry… that’s why he was simply the Best
- CHRIS FOY: Robshaw and Wood do battle in the war of the Rose for England captaincy
- NEIL ASHTON: Carlisle’s Beardsley tale shows some young modern-day players don’t know they’re born
- JEFF POWELL: Haye fight is likely to be Fury’s first in front of his jailed father for over two years… and though Burns’ win was ‘scandalous’, you cannot say it was fixed
- DEREK LAWRENSON: Should whizz kid Fitzpatrick go for four-year US college adventure or strike while the irons are hot?
Daily Mail Mail on Sunday This is Network This is London This is Money
Metro Jobsite Mail Travel Zoopla.co.uk Prime Location Villa Holidays
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2419946/Jose-Mourinho-Samuel-Etoo-make-Chelsea-debut-away-Everton.html#ixzz2f4g1cAks
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook